August 13, 2023

House Projects - The Lighting Edition

 I know I've mentioned the dismal lighting situation in the kitchen before.  It has been rectified, thanks to The Husband.

Without my knowledge, he ordered a new light fixture - mainly because I couldn't find anything that I liked enough to purchase.  What was in the kitchen was a woefully inadequate track lighting fixture - which looked ridiculous, had four tiny lights that required expensive, specialty bulbs that burned out with alarming frequency, threw shadows all over the place and would heat the kitchen if left on for too long.  There was also a pendant fixture - the kind you would find over a table...except our kitchen can barely be described as an "eat in" kitchen - especially since the dining room is right there (waving my hand to the right).

That pendant also sported an Edison bulb - you know, those bulbs that look old fashioned and give out zero useful light.  And since it wasn't hanging over a table or island, many people just slightly taller than me have conked their noggins on it...repeatedly.

So I guess he was fed up and just ordered an 8 foot track lighting fixture.  Now track lighting is not my jam - at all.  But, I do have to give him credit - the one he ordered is white and unobtrusive and just kind of blends in with the ceiling when it's not on.  I don't hate it is what I am saying.  And it looks much better than a fluorescent light fixture or what was there before.

When the fixture arrived last weekend, he enlisted me to help him hang the track.  Until he got frustrated that I wasn't tall enough (even on a ladder) to be of any use to him.  I was then relegated to handing him tools.  Until he got frustrated that I wasn't clear on what he needed.  At that point, I told him I was sorry but I don't work in construction.  Then I removed myself from the situation and hid out in my office.

How he finally got that thing up there by himself is anyone's guess; but he did.  He started around 9:30 am last Saturday and didn't finish until around 4:00 pm.  It was a long day is what I am saying.

Last Sunday he put up the actual lights - which, luckily did not require any assistance from me.  

Friends...when I say the light this thing puts out is bright; that is an understatement.  We could preform surgeries in the kitchen now.  This doesn't concern me that much because since I am practically blind I prefer as much light as I can get. But I figured we would need to tone down the lighting in most instances; so he installed a dimmer.

Installing that dimmer also had it's own frustrations but it was done without my assistance and only minimal cursing from him.

Then, after looking at the fixture and the pendant (remember the head conking fixture); I determined that we didn't need that pendant anymore.  And he promised to take it down.

Yesterday was the day that the pendant came down.  This was supposed to be an easy, peasy project - just a zip zip with the drill - it was not - because of course it wasn't.  Apparently, one of the screws was stripped and this necessitated all kinds of work arounds while I stood there holding the pendant above my head and out of the way as he worked on it.

Perseverance eventually won the day and my aching arms rejoiced.

But he wasn't done.  

No, not even close.  

Because that stupid pendant put out what he likes to call "ambient lighting" (i.e., lighting that inhibits my ability to SEE) in the evening; he ordered lights for our glass fronted cabinet in the corner of the kitchen.  This is where we store extra wine glasses, vases, and other glass/crystal pieces (which, quite honestly, rarely get used).

Today was the day he planned to install those lights.  And the only help that was required from me was to help remove and replace all the pieces.  Which we did in short order.

Apparently, the installation was a snap.  (FINALLY!)

The issue that caused me to threaten a punch in the nose for him?  Putting everything back where it belonged...including the cabinet itself (which had to be moved to plug in the lights).  At every step, he argued with me about what went where.  Finally, I looked at him and stated very clearly, "I KNOW how this house is set up because *I* set it up in the first place." 

At any rate, we are still married.  I haven't punched him in the nose.  And we finally have decent light in the kitchen.  And the "ambient light" that he apparently adores SO much has been installed.

Next up?  The pendants over the bar.  He thinks they either need to be replaced or somehow raised.

Pray for him.

 

20 comments:

  1. Electricity and I are not friends. I mean, I do light electrical, but I'm not a fan. I'm hiring someone to do the GFI outlet for the down stairs bathroom. And my efforts for better lighting this week amounted to buying a better lightbulb for Hubs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For anything more complicated, he will hire someone. And in theory, none of these projects were supposed to be difficult. Plumbing on the other hand? Definitely he will hire someone for most jobs.

      Delete
  2. Oh goodness, this was just a delight to read. First because you wrote it so humorously, and second because this is SO relatable. I'm glad you can finally see in your kitchen and there will be no more headaches from running into pendant lights. I'd love to see pictures!
    We have a few lighting issues in our house but my husband won't attempt to do any of it - so a (very expensive) electrician call it will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Elisabeth! I don't blame your husband, working with electricity (of course, we cut it off first) always makes me nervous.

      Delete
  3. When you love them they drive you crazy because they know they can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, home improvement projects and the inevitable strain on marriage that they cause. We have all recessed lighting in this house as our old house had very little natural lighting and quite a poor lighting set up. We had like a chandelier thing over our table - I can't think of what else to call it, but it wasn't quite a chandelier, a hanging light fixture - and someone always bumped their head on it if they leaned over the table a certain way. Anyway I'm sure your house looks great now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recessed lighting was what I was hoping for - maybe in the future. But for now this works perfectly. And no more head bumping for the taller folks is a bonus.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I'll be praying for YOU. Projects are the worst. Around here, they always take ten times longer than I'm told they will, and a great deal of that is Waiting For Them To Start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Nance. Usually, there is a great deal of waiting around here too - except this time it was something that he wanted to get done. The waiting around usually happens when it's something I want done.

      Delete
  6. We're still married. I am laughing so hard. Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In hindsight, it IS comical but during....

      Delete
  7. Well, it has a happy ending, that's for sure. I loved hearing about this, and that it all finally got resolved. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being able to actually see in the kitchen is so nice!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL -- this whole post made me giggle. Sounds like QUITE the project! But very glad you can now perform surgeries in your kitchen if necessary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear it's a miracle we live through some of these projects. But I am SO pleased that I have enough light to perform a surgery if necessary; so I guess it was worth it.

      Delete
  10. Aren't you happy that you have bright lights now? I know you are. We did this recently in our closet and it's glorious to be able to see everything.
    Sending up thoughts and prayers for the next project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I understand your situation. We've changed light fixture inside and outside the house, with varying degrees of marital harmony. In the end seeing clearly is worth the stress. And the price of the new fixtures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you guys are still married and that you did NOT punch him in the face. Projects around the house can be so stressful - especially when they aren't going as planned. Hopefully the next lighting project goes a little more smoothly. :)

    ReplyDelete