August 20, 2023

Wedding Chatter - The Dress Edition

So, here we are at the tail end of August (HOW?!) already -- which means The Event is in about three months.

When I looked up and realized it was mid-August, I had a small panic attack as I had not done anything yet.  Absolutely nothing.

The panic set into motion the search for the elusive "mother of the groom dress."  You know, the one that fits well, flatters you in all the right places and, preferably, is on sale. 

I just knew that this was going to be long, drawn out process.  One that would have me scouring the internet.  Ordering dress after dress after dress; only to return them all when it was discovered they weren't "The One."

After scouring SO.MANY.sites with no luck - I finally landed on Belk.  I figured they had to have something.  Even if it wasn't The One; maybe I'd luck into something that would do in a pinch.  So, I took a deep breath and ordered one.

Friends - I found The Dress on the first try - who would have thunk it?  Certainly not I.

Not only does it fit; it also seems to flatter AND it was about fifty percent off - the Holy Grail, as it were.  Yes, it's a little longer than I would have liked (but this is perennial problem for me) but not enough to have it altered.  And yes, the "bling" is a little more "bling-y" than I was expecting.

I even already own the perfect pair of nude high heel sandals to match!  But am currently on the hunt for the perfect pair of nude flats for the reception - it's either that or go barefoot - and that is NOT happening.

And as that "bling" kept floating in my field of vision every time I wandered into my dressing room; I began to have doubts.  Is it TOO "bling-y," I wondered.  Particularly, since the ceremony will be around 4:00 pm, I think.

The Husband says it's not; that this is a wedding and I should be "bling-y" - but what does he know?  He's a guy.  All he has to do is put on a suit and show up.


Dress - it's navy; not black!



Close up of said bling

But I have determined to put all thoughts of bling out of my mind - I have a dress and shoes (or, at least one pair of shoes) - now I can turn my mind to other pressing thoughts...like hair and makeup.

30 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh Gigi! It's gorgeous! It's an absolutely perfect dress and I agree with your husband - if you can't bling it up at your son's wedding, when can you? I love it and I bet it looks amazing on you. I agree - you need a pair of dancing shoes! Will you put your hair up or wear it down? A nice bold lipstick would look great I bet. OMGGGGG I want ALLLLLLL the details!!! Would you be comfortable posting a photo of you in the dress? If not I'll just use my imagination. I bet it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Nicole. Still trying to figure out the hair situation. Definitely a bold lipstick will be needed. And yes, will share a picture of me wearing it eventually.

      Delete
  2. I love it. Is it tradition in the States to wear a hat or a fascinator type thing. Not that I've been to any for a while but here in the UK you can't take your headwear off until the mother of the bride takes hers off. Bling is not overly clingy just a little sparkle. You should definitely get a nice necklace to match (maybe a husband hint).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, fascinators/hats aren't a thing here - except at the Kentucky Derby for some reason. Which is a good thing as I look ridiculous in a hat. I actually have a couple of necklaces that might work well with this dress.

      Delete
  3. It's beautiful! You will be so happy with that dress, I'm sure. Thanks for the pictures! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DJan! It really caught my eye when I saw it.

      Delete
  4. lol even as I read this I was thinking isn't it as simple as just putting on a dress and a suit out of the closet?
    I remember working with a woman up in arms she was invited to a wedding and she had to get a new dress. I thought this foolish; who would know? She assured me all the women would know. I found this hard to believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hate to say it, but she is right. Particularly, if it's a family wedding. I had a perfectly fine and lovely dress (if this were a summer wedding) in the closet - but I wore it to the last family wedding. And, for women, it's never as simple as just putting on a dress; NEVER.

      Delete
    2. There is a bitchy line "I love your dress! I never tire of seeing it!"

      Delete
  5. I love that dress; it is classic but has just the right amount of flair, or as you call it, bling. I think it is gorgeous and I am sure you will look great! And it was on sale; how can you beat that!? I don't love dress (or clothing in general) shopping and it is so, SO nice when you can find something right away and you don't have to be stressing over it in months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kyria! Getting this out of the way is such a relief.

      Delete
  6. What a great dress! You did win with that one. And I think the sleeves are the perfect amount of bling. Cross a big item off the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, CCR! Yes, getting this item crossed off is amazing.

      Delete
  7. It is beautiful and classic! I love it! I also LOVE the idea of nude shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kari. I have been obsessed with nude shoes for the past couple of years; particularly for a dress up event.

      Delete
  8. I LOVE IT. I say bring on the bling for a wedding and this "bling" looks understated and classy. What a lovely cut, gorgeous detailing. I would 100% wear this dress.

    Re length: you could likely get it hemmed quite inexpensively if you were uncomfortable with the length? I also feel like you can use this dress for future events since it's a neutral colour and works for all seasons/types of weather etc.

    Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elisabeth. I knew it would be longer on me (it always is) as, apparently, the models are all 10 feet tall. It's not enough to worry about altering it - and I won't trip over it, so it's fine.

      Delete
  9. That dress is so lovely. How exciting. I'm so happy for you. Finding the dress on the first try? I do not think it has too much bling. It is very subtle and classic. I'm sure it is very flattering. Well done, you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty and cut so nicely. I never heard of Belk. Off to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Belk's are only in the south. I know I had never heard of them until we moved here. It's a department store; kind of like Macy's.

      Delete
  11. This is stylish bling, subtle enough to not overwhelm the lines of the dress. I like it. You're going to look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That dress is beautiful! I can't wait to see it on you when you post wedding pictures. I don't think it's too blingy at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! I'm feeling a lot better about the bling with all the positive comments.

      Delete
  13. I love it. Not too much bling for 4pm...it's just enough to make it a special occasion dress and not an everyday dress. I love Navy with nude too. Hey, I wore a navy gown for Lolo's wedding with nude shoes too. 🤓
    My only regret for Lolo's wedding is letting her wedding people do my hair and makeup. They did it great on her and the younger ladies, but it was too much makeup for me and I hated my hair so much. *sigh* I pray you don't hate anything about your sons big day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suz! Believe it or not; I also wore navy with nude shoes to the last wedding I attended! I remembered you didn't like your hair/make up for Lolo's wedding and declined to have mine done for the big day. Now, what I'm going to do for my hair/make up is anyone's guess. I suppose I'll start looking at YouTube videos and practicing!

      Delete
  14. Love it. And there is no such thing as too much bling when you're the MOB. *squeee*** So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gigi,
    I'm excited for you and your entire family! It's going to be joyous and you're going to look smashing in your dress and nude heels. Sparkle on, my friend! Mona

    ReplyDelete