June 18, 2024

Book Review: The Giver of Stars by JoJo Moyes

I really enjoyed this book.  Although, I admit I am a sucker for a story about strong women and friendship.

This is a fictional account about the true story of America's traveling library in a small Kentucky town during the Depression.

These women are brought together to help create a library in their small town and outlaying areas.  They are tasked with bringing the books to their patrons via horseback and in doing so, create a strong bond between very different women with various backgrounds.

These heroic women refuse to be cowed by the overbearing men and the stifling conventions of their small town life.

The fact that there were once traveling libraries - delivered on horseback is fascinating to me.  And this story also shows the importance that libraries still have in our lives today - keepers of information, facts and, of course, fiction.  Our libraries have so very much to offer our communities today and, even more so back then.

This book is filled with drama, loyalty, justice, humanity and passion.

I would definitely recommend it.

8 comments:

  1. I have a copy of that book and it's one of those books that looks wonderful, but every time I pick it up something stops me from reading it. Not like I don't want to, but like life interfers and says you're not reading this book this week, Ms. Bean. I'll try again, though. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ally, I can't tell you how many times I picked it up at the library and then returned it to the shelf before finally committing to it. Eventually, life will stop interfering and you'll be able to enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. I'd not heard of this book, but it sounds fascinating. Thanks for alerting me to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nance, I think you'd really like it and I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

      Delete
  3. I've liked some of Jojo's other books. This one sounds good. Have you read the Woman of Troublesome Creek? I really liked that one. Sounds similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of that title, I will keep an eye out for it. Thanks, Ernie!

      Delete
  4. I wish I could get back to reading. I have one started... somewhere. My mind's been going a billion miles an hour lately and it's hard for me to focus for too long.

    ReplyDelete