April 13, 2020

A non-pandemic post full of randomness

First of all - thank you.  Right after I hit publish on the last post, I began to wonder - should I have mentioned that we had Easter together?  What if people don't understand that we went above and beyond to avoid any type of cross-contamination? 

I promise, we did.  Is this just where we are now?  Questioning every move we make?  Unfortunately, I think so.

Second, thank you Kari and Nicole for asking about the storms.  We are fine.

Luckily, I woke up extra early today because I went to bed extra early last night.  At any rate, around 5:15 am, my phone sent a Tornado Warning - Shelter in Place Now alert - had I not been awake, I would have slept through it - unless The Husband heard, and heeded, it (most likely not).  This meant that The Husband and I found ourselves hunkered down in the hallway for about 20 minutes.

This is when we discovered that this house was built with my proportions in mind.

We discovered that when I sat down on the floor with my back against one wall and my feet stretched out that I fit the width of the hallway perfectly.  I would have had him take a picture but 1) I was still on my first cup of coffee and not in a blogging frame of mind and 2) I just woke up and you don't need that kind of horror.  But it was pretty funny.

Once the warning was over, everything was fine.  We still had some rain and wind - which dissipated as the day went on - but it was an "eventful" start to the morning to say the least.

When I texted Man-Child later in the day - as his county was also included in the warning - he slept through the whole thing.  Like mother, like son, it seems.  It's a good thing a tornado DIDN'T touch down in his area.

Another thing I wanted to touch on - The Husband is currently cleaning out the freezer.  Apparently, at some point last night he put a bottle of chardonnay in the freezer because we didn't have an already cold bottle on hand.  And, unlike me, he is above putting ice in his wine... the snob.  Can you envision where this is going?

He then either, promptly forgot about it or fell asleep on the couch - I, of course, was already asleep and had no idea this had happened.

This evening he opened the very over-stuffed freezer and can you guess what he discovered?

If you guessed that the bottle exploded you get a gold star!

Because of his food hoarding tendencies (go ahead and search the blog using the term "hoard") that freezer has needed a good clean out for a long while now.  Which he has been avoiding. 

But with the explosion of glass and frozen wine every.single.item needed to be brought out, assessed, rinsed and either tossed or put back in - with the result of a nice, clean freezer and someone's eyes opened a little more about how wasteful hoarding can be.  I do agree that it is nice to have extra on hand - but, generally, he tends to go overboard.

In other news - I currently DESPISE the little ditty that my washing machine AND my dryer "sing" after every load is complete.  This is the result of listening to it every day, at least TWICE a day for who knows HOW long now,  since we are washing towels, clothes that went out into the public, etc. every day.  So much so that I am *this* close to digging out the manuals to figure out if I can disable that cheerful, little ditty.

7 comments:

  1. I had to laugh at the little ditty scenario. And I did smile ruefully at the reason your freezer is now spic and span. I myself would NEVER do that but it's because I drink red wine which doesn't need to be chilled. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did a distance 16th birthday for my niece. My brother, boys, and nephews played football. We disinfected everyone's hands. The ball. Then when another kid jumped in, we did it all again. It was exhausting. It was fun.

    We are ALL essential workers. Our house has cooties. Youngest sees a friend a day. Oldest sees one friend once a week for ice cream, but lord knows how many people she's seen.

    My point? I know I'm being judged. I know why I'm being judged. And at this point, I just have to not care. I just have to live with what's going on here, and if I can be at, albeit a squirmy kind of peace with it, then that's Okay.

    I'm glad you had Easter with the family. Sorry about the wine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you are okay. I have friends whose towns were destroyed in Tennessee. I cannot imagine having to deal with THAT on top of everything else.

    As far as people judging you for Easter, I get it. I write stuff on my blog then wonder if it was the right thing to say ALL OF THE TIME. I shared a picture on my personal Facebook of my parents on Easter. They were in our driveway, six plus feet away, but in the picture, I didn't say whether they were and wondered if I would get comments. I didn't but here is the takeaway- we are being safe and so is the majority of everyone else. This is why the curve is getting flattened as we speak.

    I am so glad you got to "be" with your son for Easter. It's those little things that are big things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So scary about the storms; I'm glad you are all good though. No criticism here on your Easter non-gathering.
    The poor bottle of Chardonnay! But it'll be nice to have a clean freezer.
    My washer/dryer have a little sing-song too; doesn't annoy me though. There is a button right on the front of mine that says SIGNAL. Maybe yours does too?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad the storms did not cause you any damage. I can use my imagination and imagine you fitting in your hallway. Ha.

    One of the kids put a can of pop in the freezer when we were left/leaving for Vancouver. That was a treat to come home too. We did not have broken glass to deal with at least. Not fun.

    Coach and I just thoroughly cleaned the fridge before refilling it with $648 of groceries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh on having to clean out the freezer! But at least now it will be nice and clean! I heard the alert for the Tornado and groggily asked my husband if we should go to the basement. He said no and rolled over and went back to sleep so thankfully nothing actually touched down here either!

    ReplyDelete
  7. THE WINE EXPLOSION. Eeeee. Cleaning the freezer is not fun but at least it's done?
    So glad you are okay with the scary storm!

    ReplyDelete