November 20, 2023

Duke Power - Doing What They Do Best; Mutilating Trees

Every year, about this time, Duke Power sends out their tree "experts" to mutilate "trim" the trees across the state.

And every year, about this time, I am reminded how much it infuriates me to see what they've done - all in the name of "trying to keep the power on if we get snow or, more likely, ice."

I'm also very thankful that the power lines in our neighborhood are under ground; because if they did this to my trees (minus the pines, after this happened TWICE; they can take down all the damn pines in my yard that they'd like) I would be raising such a fuss that I'm sure the cops would be called to take me away.


And they call themselves "experts"

They've ruined this tree and many, many others along this road and across the state.  

I mean I realize the "why" behind their reasoning, but honestly doing this to a tree should be illegal.  Seems to me that the money they spend mutilating trees would be better spent by putting the power lines underground; which coincidently would most likely stop this tree from toppling over into the road.

16 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness - mutilated is right! That poor tree!

    I was so annoyed at my old house because an enormous tree branch -- like, half a tree -- had come down on top of the power lines in our back yard. It didn't affect our power somehow, but the branch was hanging precariously over our fence and I just knew that one puff of wind and the thing would crush the fence. But the power company had no issue with the thing because it wasn't causing power outages, so we had to pay to get it taken care of. Still salty about that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun fact, you (at least here) are on the hook for dealing with tree damage if it doesn't damage the power, your house or any other structure on your property. Doesn't seem quite fair.

      Delete
  2. We have a lot of older trees like that in my town in the midwest. All very Picasso-esque, and probably more a threat to the road and wires that the original branches. Luckily, years ago enough people complained and they stopped the utter travesty of that kind of trimming. Either that or they ran out trees to attack. The emerald ash borer caused a bunch of trees to be taken down completely, so new trees tend to be small and slow growing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that this nonsense isn't done in "certain" neighborhoods in the city limits. Our town does not reside in the city limits. I may have to take a drive to see if that's true.

      Delete
  3. Awww that poor tree! What an eyesore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was that homeowner, I would be beside myself with rage.

      Delete
  4. It's not just Duke Power, alas! What these power companies do to trees everywhere makes me angry and sick by turns. They're butchers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed butchers - but they don't put that on the side of their trucks.

      Delete
  5. I laughed at your post title before I even saw the poor tree. Not surprised but saddened by what Duke did to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The title really did give away the whole story, didn't it?

      Delete
  6. Gigi,
    Poor tree! Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the power lines would be better underground. They do that here as well, and it always makes me feel ill at how the trees are butchered. It really is an eyesore! Mona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Putting the power lines underground is the only sensible solution these days...and, it seems, that should be on the power company's list of projects; to update these lines and put them underground.

      Delete
  7. Sigh. We have had some doozies done to our local trees, too. But we don't seem to be losing power as often, so maybe that's why. I shook my head in sadness at that poor tree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! What a shame. I'm with you - just take the energy to put the wires underground. (I started to type JUST PUT THE TREES UNDERGROUND. Glad I caught that or you would've been so confused. Does eating too much at Thanksgiving kill brain cells?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG. The poor trees!! This should be against the law.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear me let us hope it grow back quickly.

    ReplyDelete