November 1, 2023

Musings

How are we in November already?  HOW?!  This year is flying by - and honestly every year seems to fly by faster than the last.

Not much has been going on around here.  Just work, household chores and the like.  So nothing new or exciting to report.

Today it was "unseasonably" cold (no it wasn't; 50 degrees Fahrenheit is perfectly seasonable); which was a definite shock to my delicate system.  Today I had to don socks - but despite the socks, slippers and space heater my poor toes are frozen.  I expect they won't thaw out until May.  But despite this setback weather-wise, as I gaze out the window I notice my roses are still giving it their all.  I suppose I should cut some to bring in to enjoy before they die back.

Work has been work.  As it should be, I suppose.  Today was an exceptionally busy day - mainly, I expect because my boss is in a two day workshop that he has absolutely NO interest in being in as I received more emails and responses from him today than I normally do.

In other office news, apparently we are ditching actual telephones when we move.  Instead we will have something that ties into Teams.  Which is all well and good.  Until you remember we are going to have an "open floor plan."  So, we are to be receiving these special, noise cancelling headphones.  Are you freaking kidding me was the first thought out of my head.  The second was, "Oh my God, my hair!"  As I've mentioned before I NEVER have a good hair day at the office.  I think it was Nance who pointed out that office hair was a real thing.  Today, one of our "testers" mentioned to me that not only were the headphones ruining her hair, she couldn't wear earrings.  Now I am imagining that not only will my hair be one big, frizzy mess by the end of the day; I can't even pull the whole look together with my earrings.  Apparently Corporate America is trying to ruin my whole esthetic.  What's next, dull and drab uniforms for everyone?

Suzanne's post today has put my mind's wheels spinning.  And my husband probably just got a cold feeling wash over him after I typed that last sentence.  

If I were to move the guest room upstairs (which would require serious negotiation on my part because his un-used workout equipment currently resides up there) and turn this room into an actual office instead of a office/guest room I could have an entire wall of bookshelves...

I know one of my initial thoughts after moving here, however long ago it was now, was to keep this guest room and add another upstairs - but the fact is, at this point in time we have very few overnight guests; so this might make the most sense.  Of course, after I successfully talk him into ditching the un-used equipment.

Yes, this post has been all over the place.  What else is new?


16 comments:

  1. Your poor hair! I remember having a headset for my job on the trade floor and THAT always kind of wrecked my hair. And now no earrings, what is this place doing to you! Arrrrghhhhh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will tell you exactly what they are trying to do to me, Nicole. Make me insane or retire. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to retire; so insanity it will be.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes corporations have crazy ideas - giving no thought to the effects on the employees (or their hair). When I was in corporate we used small cordless headsets which were fantastic. Except some employees would wander around importantly having loud extended conversations. That was very distracting and annoying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corporations do indeed have crazy ideas. I almost can't wait for the move to witness the madness that will surely ensue and see what they do to resolve it.

      Delete
  3. Yessssss.... come over to the dark (book) side.... The no telephone thing is bonkers!!!!! Why?! Headsets are the worst! What are they thinking?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost there, Suzanne! I casually mentioned moving the bed upstairs (leaving out any mention of the workout equipment) at lunch today and he agreed. I figure we'll get to the equipment once the bed is already up there. As far as the headphones, they aren't thinking because those that will have offices won't be using the darn headphones.

      Delete
  4. What is with Some People thinking that Open Concept is the way to go in buildings full of people all doing different things at the same time? I taught junior high in an Open Concept building. Four teachers--math, science, history, English--all teaching at the same time. It. Was. Chaos. Kids would turn around in one class to listen to another, copy notes ahead of time, etc.

    (Thanks for the name-drop, Gigi. It very well could have been me, but honestly, I don't remember. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Open concept in school, especially, is ridiculous! How was testing managed?!

      Delete
    2. Gigi--Poorly. We sometimes could go to an enclosed classroom IF it was available. Otherwise, they just had to take the test with all the other falderal going on.

      Delete
  5. The headphones sound like they will be a nightmare! But hopefully they won't be as bad as we are imagining.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somebody had a terrible idea and it won't last. Soon everybody will be going without those headphones, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine there will be a lot of re-figuring out after the fact.

      Delete
  7. Welp, not thrilled about your hair situation, but things change I suppose. I remember wearing a headset when I worked in marketing research interviewing people by phone. Not comfortable and definitely no earrings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I suppose the days of pulling my hair up too.

      Delete
  8. Our office uses Teams and really like it. Sorry about your hair though....that part really bites! I'd really hate to wear headphones all day, but if it's only at certain times, I suppose it could be worse. Keep those toes warm!

    ReplyDelete