March 29, 2018

It's the little things - this applies to life and, apparently, blogging.

Am I finally remembering what got this blog started in the first place...those quirky, little things?

I was on the cusp of five whole days off...I know!  Since the Christmas vacation (here is where I'd usually post a link.  Apparently, I'm SO off my game I didn't even mention it this year.  For those not in the know, I generally hoard the majority of my vacation until Christmas) I haven't taken one day.  Even for me this unprecedented.

But this year I had decided to supplement the Good Friday and Easter Monday that my company so generously offers up as holidays with two days of vacation thus equaling a full week of paid time off.

Only to discover that this coincided with "Check the Lights" morning/night (depending on the time of year).

Normal people are now wondering what the hell Check the Lights is...this is the morning or night that The Husband has to drive around the various branches that he is responsible for to make sure all the lights are working properly.

A thoroughly tedious task, I am sure.

This affects me how?

Generally, this entire household is up before the crack of dawn.  Although, I must say that Man-Child is new to this routine...and, it appears, the one who has to be up and out before the rest of us of late.  Which is novel.  And I appreciate that more than you can imagine...this for the child that had to be grabbed by the ankle and pulled out of bed every morning before school...yes, I truly do appreciate it.

...back to the story; on Check the Lights morning the alarm clock needs to go off extra early...usually this isn't too much of an inconvenience as I'm getting up anyway.  But this morning I had the ability to sleep in!  (Could I make it to 8:00 am?!  Highly doubtful)  So I decided to set the alarm on The Husband's phone and shut off the other alarms.

This alarmed (ha!) The Husband as he wasn't quite sure that he could figure out how to turn it off.  Yes, we are slowly pulling him into this century.

This plan worked to my advantage better than I could have expected.  His alarm went off - as it wasn't a noise I was expecting to hear - and he was able to turn it off quickly; it meant that I was able to sleep in until 7:00 am!  I was over the moon - this was a historic turn of events - I fully expected to be awake by 5:00 am.

When he came home, I asked him if he wanted me to re-set his alarm (I'd only programmed it for the one day since I was thinking yesterday was Thursday - as usual, I was off by a day) and he proudly told me that he'd already set it.  When I gave him "the look" (i.e., Are You Sure?) he said he'd Googled it and then handed me the phone to double check.  He did it correctly.

Now, I'm looking forward to sleeping in again tomorrow...I hope.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on giving yourself a well deserved vacation. And sleeping in is such a luxury! I only do it when I'm sick and not able to get out of bed anyway. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I love to sleep in! Even when I am able to sleep in, I rarely do. Oh, how I miss my youth. I am thrilled that I don't have be babysit till Tuesday. Home from Scotland, but this jet lag is driving me nutty. I'm grateful that after being awake at 3 am for a few hours, I can dive back into bed for a few more winks.

    ReplyDelete