July 26, 2010

It's the little things.....

.....that can completely and totally drive you crazy in a marriage.

"What could it possibly be, Gigi?" (which is the refrain I hear from friends - who don't live with this man - but somehow think he's perfect - which on some days he is, but on others? Not so much)

My current gripe?

He leaves the pantry door open.  ALL. THE. TIME.

This is a fairly recent affliction because I'd certainly never noticed it before.  And believe me when I say that I do notice these kinds of things. (What? Don't act so shocked. You know it's true.  I have an eye for detail.)

I walk by the pantry, notice the door is open and close it.  I walk by again twenty minutes later and once again, it is open.  So I close it.

This goes on for months.  Finally in a fit of frustration (which I know, this really shouldn't be a big deal, but with the pantry being located where it is - it IS a big deal to me!) I snarl ask sweetly, "Who keeps leaving this damn door open?"

At first there is no reply.  A few days go by - closing the door, opening the door, closing the door, opening the door.  So I ask again (a little more forcefully).  The response from Hubby....

"It gets hot in there."

This one kind of stunned me momentarily because it's a freakin' pantry!  It's not like any of US humans spend any significant amount of time in there.  Which, of course, I quickly pointed out.  His response....

"The food gets hot."

Now, seriously.  I could understand this argument if we were storing perishables in there - like milk, cheese or small children.  But we don't.  We store canned and boxed food in there.  Paper products.  Linens.  You know, the stuff that normal people store in pantries.

So for now?

Now, we have gone back to the quiet routine of me closing the door when I walk by it and him opening the door when he walks by it and so on and so on and so on.

Because sometimes?  You just have to pick your battles, people.

Especially when dealing with bizarre behavior which really isn't hurting anyone.

At least until I walk into that door in the middle of the night.....then?  All bets are off.

15 comments:

  1. LOL - wonder what would happen if you just left the thing opened and never closed it. Would it eventually drive your hubby crazy? hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I could understand this argument if we were storing perishables in there - like milk, cheese or small children." This line made me laugh!

    And I couldn't agree more - picking battles is essential. But sometimes you just can't help it. Sometimes the battles pick YOU. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) :-) This is one I haven't heard of before... I look forward to hearing how it works out...

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, that would drive me insane. I also hate lights and tv's being left on when nobody is in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry but I'm cracking up!!! It would drive me crazy too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would drive me crazy too!! My brother in law lived with us for awhile and he always left cabnit doors open and didn't push chairs under the table and now my husband does the same. Guess I need to retrain him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know how you feel my husband leaves his wardrobe doors open, every bloody time he goes in there. It drives me nuts and it doesn't matter how many times I mention it, nothing changes, I just give up now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate doors being left open too, I feel your pain xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha! LOL! at the '...perishables in there - like milk, cheese or small children.' comment. This one bugs me too, we don't have a pantry but my OH leaves a lot of kitchen doors/wardrobe doors, dresser drawers open, and it's the same routine as you. I keep closing them, months go by, then I mention it...but is doesnt change. But, and it's only a very small but, your hubby does seem to have a reason, if a rather odd one, for opening the door. My OH just 'forgets' to close them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL I get it. I was mad yesterday because Hubby left the kitchen cupboard open. Really? Why can't they just close them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I love that you consider small children to be perishables! Wow...I was all ready to help you MAKE the door stay closed (magnet, etc)....but somehow, I believe hubby has been emotionally traumatized by eating something in that pantry that was HOT. We must explore this? Was it...tuna? Couldn't have been pasta. Hot Doritos, perhaps?? Couldn't be a warm napkin...that would be kinda...soothing. Find out WHAT & then REMOVE IT.
    'Cause that would drive ME crazy too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The food is getting hot.

    :-)

    I'm just shaking my head over here. That line, right there, describes so many relationships, doesn't it?

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha.. I sometimes leave kitchen cupboard doors open, but if I notice them I will close them. I'm just absent minded! :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aha! Now you can see that your husband has a soft, caring side. He cares for that poor, hot, suffering food.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Um, I don't really know what to say about that. hee hee, yes you're right. pick your battles. In our household I"m the forgetful one. I leave lights on all the time and forget to lock the doors. But he does it for me! LOL

    ReplyDelete