September 1, 2009

He Makes Me Laugh

Man-Child was definitely put on this earth to make me laugh.

Even as a wee one he could make me laugh just by the expressions on his face.

I'm convinced that (as hubby says) God makes 'em cute to keep you from hurting them.

This must be true because I can't count the number of times I was ready to kill him or give him away. Yes, I sound like a horrible mother. But, really?? How many of you can honestly say you haven't felt the same? Don't lie.

This child of mine is smart. So smart. He has a ready argument for EVERYTHING. Since the day he could talk, I swear. Unfortunately, at least with me, he hasn't learned that sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut. This is why God gave him his father. To tell him to zip it when he needs to - - before he is maimed; or worse.

When he is in the mood to actually speak to us, his parents - the ones who have loved him unconditionally and, I might add, feed his unsatiable appetite - he is quite articulate and amazing at the topics he is willing to discuss. How many teenagers do you know are willing to discuss Neo-Nazi's (apparently there was recently a "meeting" held in our town - fun); politics (he's very firm in his opinions on this); sports (ad-nauseum); and classical music (by this I mean music from our generations; which isn't oldies music by any stretch of the imagination! Well, maybe hubby's is . . .).

When he isn't in the mood to speak all we get is grunts and groans. And plenty of eye-rolls.

This boy of mine amazes me in so many ways. How can one person be so smart, so exasperating, so witty, so lazy, so committed to his views, so lackesdasical, and so exasperating?

As much as I miss the tiny little guy he used to be - who loved kisses and hugs - I can't wait to see the kind of man he is growing into. For all the mistakes and missteps I've made as a parent he truly is a fine young man.

And he makes me laugh. On a daily basis. Today, his father asked him how the girls were treating him. Without missing a beat he said, "Like a KING!"

Then . . .

"here King, here." (referring to calling a dog, for those of you that don't get it)

I rolled on the floor. He's too funny, my "little" man.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds to me like you may have a littly lawyer in the making!! Love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I've always said that too. Now he's actually considering it.

    ReplyDelete