August 24, 2009

First day of school

Finally!  It’s here.  Mother’s across the world are breathing a huge sigh of relief.

I love summer and have always looked forward to it.  Man-Child was always enrolled in a camp – so our routine never really changed.  But this year, he had aged out of camp.  So all he did was sit home and moan about how bored he is.  He moaned, ate, watched tv, ate, played video games, ate, messed around on the computer, ate. Like to drove me crazy – and put us in the poor house as our grocery bills were astronomical!

But no more!  Back to school he went today - - moaning all the way.  I reminded him that I didn’t want to go to work either – but he wasn’t buying it.  Maybe I’m just a geek, but I remember being ready to go back to school in the fall.  Not him.

I’m hoping this will be the year that M-C gets all of his assignments done and on time.  This has been a constant problem since about 5th grade.  He passes tests and exams with good grades.  Gets great grades for participation in class.  But when it comes to homework . . . endless source of frustration for me.  No matter how many times I explain it to him it.just.doesn’t.sink.in!  Homework is an easy A.  Not doing the homework really screws up his grades.  I’m hoping that now that he’s in high school he’ll begin to realize how important grades are in the scheme of college and start buckling down.  If not, I’ll have to get into Nazi-Mom mode.  I don’t like Nazi-Mom. 

He said he was sure that I didn’t do all my assignments in my school-career.  Oh but I did.  Faithfully.  Because in first grade, I couldn’t find my homework once.  I had done it but couldn’t remember where I put it.  Sister Susan (a mean old woman who shouldn’t have been teaching small kids) smacked the back of my legs with a ruler and made me stand in the corner.  I eventually found the homework tucked in a book – no apology though.  So with that little lesson – I did all my assignments AND remembered where I put them.  Hmmm, maybe I should try this with MC this year . . .

1 comment:

  1. oooo- lucky you. Another week or so, two for some, before they go back in the UK. I know about the food bills.....mine all get cooked meals at school so sometimes we can make do with something on toast or eggs but when they're here all day it costs a fortune.
    Hope you son is happy when he gets home after his first day. :0)

    ReplyDelete